Thursday, April 02, 2020

Handcuffed

A voice said to me in my dream that I shall be granted my freedom
And that, when I shall wake, I'll see the whole world
Rejoicing in the freedom
Provided that they feel the very sense in their own heart too.
'It is true,' I heard the words ringing in my head.
I woke up, and noticed my body
I was and just a skeleton
I went out of my home, searching for anybody
And saw a lot of others turned to skeletons
Wearing a necklace
There was a key in that necklace
Adjusted just over the place where our hearts usually are
And they all were roaming about
Carrying handcuffs in hands.
I saw two people walking hand in hand, handcuffed, smiling at each other
I saw some children who had made a toy out of a handcuff and throwing and catching it around
I saw somebody walking, wearing it as big earrings
I saw a beggar, collecting more and more of it in his bowl
I saw another person going with a bag full of it, maybe to treasure it in a bank
Some were wearing it as their anklet, fashionably
There was even one who wore it as his glasses
I searched for my handcuff around
And the moment I searched for it, it appeared in my hand
Handcuffed, I felt comfortable
Real comfortable and secure
It seemed all fine
I felt as if I don't have to worry about a lot of things now.

And from then on we lived a life of a comfortable lie
Woven in our strings of attachments, we roamed around with a dutiful sigh
On the street where once stood trees with their heads held up high
The clouds wore a sense of pride
And the rains were a delight
The glee that charmed our hearts once
Was then much brighter than the summer sun
And a wave of hope resided in every sense
Of the air that smoothly ruffled through our hair.

But now on banks we stood intact
Strict and sound, we are much more bound
Adoring the kite in the sky, with a string in sight
We can't look past the ocean, we think the world ends there
Skeleton-ed we remain, with not a mass in our brain
And one by one we remove the key from our necklace
We hold it high up, showing ours to each other
We assure and nod, we think we are there for one another
And with one brisk movement we swayed our arms behind
The ocean and trees and birds and sky are holding their breath in their stomach's tight
Without another thought we are all set in motion
One by one a squash could now be heard in the ocean
Until a thousand such beats are past, the ocean hurls its best
And we see all our keys once more in air till they tumble again in rest
And no sooner we are left handcuffed, with no keys to rebuff
Seeing the demise of freedom, I recalled the dream I saw once
I glanced in horror
Into my eternal sorrow.
And with whatever of the last hope left in my system
I shed it off as a tear, losing the last sense of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment