Tuesday, April 14, 2020

I Stole a Cigarette for my Teddy Bear

I stole a cigarette for my teddy bear
Which I had kept soft and sound for years.
Lying at the side of my bed, crawling to my floor, hiding in my drawer
Reading my books
Carrying my bag
And doing my homeworks.
When I grew up, the teddy, growing old, worn and torn, but soft and sound
Demanded a cigarette for some old times' sake of his.
Stupefied, I asked, why do you need?
I am growing older, you see - I have seen days and times that no longer exist.
I have seen the wise turn into fools
I have seen the departure of the carefree days
I have seen neglect and ignorance
No insects come to cheer me up
I miss the company of my own kind.
When you were small, you kept me amongst other toys
They were fond of me. They grew fond of me.
I was better than any new toy you bought.
And I was your favourite.
Everybody knew that I was your favourite.
Perhaps that's why you still keep me around.
But you leave me alone
Most of the times I am stuck in my solitude
I seek attention. I am dismayed.
I don't get kissed.
Even when you hug me to sleep
You throw me off once you are in your slumber.
I am not complaining, I am just...
I feel nostalgic.
I need a cigarette
To think it all through.
His words moved me.
After all the love and affection I have got from him all through these years
This is the only demand he has ever made.
So I went out to steal a cigarette for my lovely little bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment